Educational leaders play a central role in developing a
culture of change and providing the conditions for innovation in schools, and
that role varies by job title. District leaders make changes across multiple
schools, principals lead change across their schools and teacher leaders guide
change within and across grade levels. But no matter the role, a framework that
identifies the knowledge and behaviors required for leaders to make student
learning possible and for teachers to be empowered is a
The ISTE Standards for Education Leaders offer a concrete framework to help
leaders set goals and provide a vision for transformative systems change within
educational institutions. The ISTE Standards for Educators and the ISTE
Standards for Students are also used by leaders to provide holistic change with
a shared vision and direction for all. Education Reimagined provides aspiring
and established leaders an on-ramp for using the ISTE Standards to guide change
in their educational systems.
This booklet contains:
- Examples showing how those in specific leadership roles can use the ISTE
Standards in their work.
- Reflection questions applicable to all leadership roles.
- Vignettes demonstrating how a variety of leaders in a diverse range of
schools have embraced the ISTE Standards for Education Leaders.
- Explanation of other frameworks and standards that connect with and
complement the ISTE Standards for Education Leaders.
- A crosswalk between the ISTE Essential Conditions and the ISTE Standards
for Education Leaders.