Be Internet Awesome is designed to teach kids what they need to know to become safe, fearless explorers of the online world. It also seeks to empower parents, educators and third parties such as local community organizations to teach children good online habits in a way that’s engaging to them during a critical time in their digital literacy education. Be Internet Awesome is founded in five fundamental lessons:
- Privacy & Security: Secure your secrets. (Be Internet Strong)
- Cyberbullying & Online Cruelty: It’s cool to be kind. (Be Internet Kind)
- Phishing & Scams: Don’t fall for fake. (Be Internet Alert)
- Online Reputation: Share with care. (Be Internet Smart)
- Inappropriate Content: When in doubt, talk it out. (Be Internet Brave)
- Four lessons on digital citizenship with accompanying games for each
- Appropriate for fourth and fifth grade students
- Accompanying teacher and parent guide
- Intermediate technology skill required
Seal of Alignment Review
The Google Be Internet Awesome curriculum successfully underwent the International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE) Seal of Alignment review for Readiness. Reviewers determined that this resource helps build foundational technology skills needed to support the 2016 ISTE Standards for Students.
The lessons cover four key digital citizenship topic areas: online privacy and security, online interactions, protecting your online reputation, and protecting against phishing and scams. Each lesson topic has an accompanying game that helps reinforce curriculum components in a fun and engaging way. The lessons are geared toward students at the fourth and fifth grade levels and provides helpful information at a time when student safety and security in the online world are of growing importance.
“The Be Internet Awesome lessons, activities and accompanying materials are interesting, engaging and particularly well-customized for grade level and audience.”
— ISTE Review Report
Be Internet Awesome was found to support implementation of the following 2016 ISTE Standards for Students:
2. Digital Citizen
2.a. cultivate and manage their digital identity and reputation and are aware of the permanence of their actions in the digital world.
2.b. engage in positive, safe, legal and ethical behavior when using technology, including social interactions online or when using networked devices.
2.d. manage their personal data to maintain digital privacy and security and are aware of data-collection technology used to track their navigation online.